среда, 15 февраля 2017 г.

Moonlight (2016) movie review. The main competitor of La La Land at the Oscars.

Moonlight is a movie about a timeless story of human self-discovery and connection, Moonlight chronicles the life of a young black man from childhood to adulthood as he struggles to find his place in the world while growing up in a rough neighborhood of Miami. 

Barry Jenkins, who directed and wore the script did so well, that this movie is not just nominated for an Oscar in Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay categories, but in Best Picture, which is a giant success for a filmmaker. This movie is relevant, important for minorities, but also masterfully made. I know a lot of people, who blindly love it, saying how great the cinematography is or directing. And this movie is an art in every way. It entertains the audience a little bit differently. Not by the action or plot twists, but with beautifully directed sequences. Some parts of this movie were really great.

But for me, as a fan, who loves this types of movies this one somehow didn't work. I love the first act with Mahershala Ali, but the rest of it was too boring, despite great filmmaking. The actor, who played an adult version of Chiron - the main character was great. It was a hard task to connect these three different actors, so the audience wouldn't notice the difference as Chiron was growing up. 

I know that this movie worked for a lot of people. And I completely understand why. But I think that this movie is too artistic. I think that the thought behind it is too complicated to tell in that environment. The scenes were a little longer sometimes than I thought they needed to be and the overall feel after watching wasn't satisfying. It didn't leave me liking it, as an Oscar contender should. One thing I really disliked was that sudden disappearance of Mahershala Ali's character. By the plot, he had to be gone, but I didn't even imagine, that he would not appear at all later. Naomi Harris was great, she did a very good job, she is a top actress, who has a chance of winning, but there is almost no chance.

The message is quite relevant. This movie hit the weak spot so hard, that it includes three or even more nowadays hot issues. This movie is not for everyone, not for me definitely, but it is some exceptional filmmaking, I will not be surprised if it wins the Best Picture. Hopefully, Barry Jenkins will win something out of his nominations. 

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий